Dec 19, 2025

Lately…

I really haven’t felt like doing much of anything.

I’ve said it before that I really don’t like this part of the year. I’m not big on cold and dark and right now it’s both most of the time. We’ve had a really cold December and as I write this it looks like there may be a few inches of snow for the first time in any kind of significant way.

Snow is another thing I hate because it just means work for me and honestly there is no shortage of the amount of things I have to do around this place.

Most of my time is occupied by a few simple things really… eating, cooking, cleaning, napping, sleeping and watching the tube. Someone at work the other day wrote the comment, “The TV isn’t going to watch itself!”

This made me laugh.

Although I have to say there is very little I get excited about on TV these days. 

Another thing I started to write, oh well.

I stopped or rather paused my Netflix account because I find their new interface just off putting. It now is curated by Netflix’s AI which doesn’t make me all that happy because the truth is as far as Netflix goes the best things that I have watched I sort of happened upon.

I think their new interface is a bit of an abomination because since it’s curated now, you don’t get the choices you once did, you get THEIR IDEA of the things you’d like to watch based on THEIR ALGORITHM  and mind you there are currently two tiers of Netflix membership no… there’s one with ads and one that’s ad free so the ALGORITHM is able to tailor ADS TO YOU! See, that’s the thing they really don’t want to come out and say about all this… it’s not something for your benefit as much as it is something they can go back to advertisers and show results and why they’re a good ad buy.

I have the ad free version of Netflix which makes all of this all the more galling.

I have a bunch of ‘premium’ services… I have Prime Video as a consequence of a Prime membership. I hate Prime video too because their interface is always trying to sell you something. Prime can’t just let you browse the things that are available to your through your Prime membership and Prime video, NO! THEY HAVE TO TRY AND GET YOU TO BUY SOMETHING!!!!!

Look, I know you can go all the way over to the right in the navigation bar at the top but that still doesn’t mean they don’t show you things that aren’t available to you without buying them. Like fucking get a clue assholes!

I signed up for Paramount Plus which is $2.99 a month for two months. This would be good because I would like to watch Landman and Tulsa King as well as some of the Star Trek series (NOT DISCOVERY WHICH IS A STEAMING PIECE OF SHIT!). The only problem there is just that Paramount Plus’s app is just a steaming pile of shit that is slow, freezes and has bad overall performance. I’ve been trying to get through Picard which has been painful just because of how poorly the app works.

I’m not going to do a deep dive into some of the problems I have with Paramount Plus Star Trek series, that’s for another post.

I have an HBO MAX/HULU/DISNEY PLUS bundle as well. Surprsingly, all three have good apps although as far as Disney Plus goes there is so little new content that it’s painful. I understand they are doing away with HULU but even so, the fact that Disney had bought up all these properties and has just dropped the ball over the last few years in terms of storytelling… well again I don’t want to keep complaining.

How is it that when I was young and we only had channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 as well as weird UHF channels you could get by playing with the antenna it seemed like there really was lot more entertaining things to watch? 

No comments: